The system consists of a PC-based kiosk running a Windows application and a web application hosted by Microsoft IIS. Both applications interact with the main Sentry Isis database.
1. Student who has forgotten their library card
After a student has entered their Active Directory/LDAP username and password, a temporary card is issued providing:
- The user has not reached their limit on the number of temporary cards previously issued.
- There is no previously issued temporary card for the user that is still valid.
- The user is not currently trapped or banned from using the library.
- The user is not recorded as being already in the library.
The student will then be issued with a temporary card.
2. Visitor with a pre-arranged appointment
The system can also be used for visitors who have pre-arranged appointments. Library staff can book the visit on the system and supply their visitor with a PIN that can be used at the kiosk to generate a temporary card.
3. Visiting student from an external institution
The user is prompted to select their home institution from a configurable list, and is then prompted to enter their authentication information. On successful authentication and providing there is no current valid card:
- If it does not already exist, a record for the user is created in the Sentry Isis database.
- A temporary card number is generated and is added to the new record.
- The temporary card is printed with a barcode.
Usage of the card for entry is subject to the validity rules for visiting student cards (see Operational Parameters below).