The FE Technologies Return Shelves take the hassle out of your returns process by reducing the
number of times returned items are touched by staff. Patrons simply return their items to any one
of the shelf cubicles, and the item is immediately checked in and removed from the patron’s
account. What’s more, the item is now able to be borrowed again by any other patron. They simply
remove the item from the shelf and borrow it as normal. This means your high circulation items and
best-sellers are kept out with your patrons, not stuck somewhere in the returns room.
• When an exception is placed on the shelf, such as a reserved item, the staff are instantly
alerted, allowing them to remove the item and action it as required. The exception item will
automatically print a customisable slip (i.e. on hold slip or transit slip) along with the cubicle
number that the item can be found in.
• A dashboard screen allows the staff to see and/or search (per title) the following lists along
with the cubicle location of each item:
1. a list of exceptions
2. items older than X hours (libraries configure the value of hours)
3. all items on the shelf
The following exclusion zones apply to the Return Shelf:
• Exclusion zone 1 (300mm to the front and sides): in this zone there should be nothing obstructing
patrons or staff from access to any part of the front of the Return Shelf; there also should be no
items containing an RFID tag placed within this proximity that are not intended to be placed on the
Return Shelf and read by the system.
• Exclusion zone 2 (500mm to the front and sides): in this zone there should be nothing obstructing
patrons or staff from access to any part of the front of the Return Shelf.
• Exclusion zone 3 (2.5 – 3 m): in this zone there should be no high power RFID equipment that
reads RFID tags, such as RFID Security Gates or a Smart Bin, or other large electronic equipment,
such as inters, fax machines and CRT monitors.